Joanne questioned Mayor Jacque-Andres first with Trevor’s help but he was preoccupied with all the fine latina baes walking around. She wanted to know how he has survived and his religious affiliation if any. At that he smiled ruefully and said “We hide a lot.” Basically they don’t try to defend their home against groups. They don’t have anything really to steal anyway. Food is scarce but he knows some desert plants and sometimes brings home fish or small animals. It is enough to get by. He shows you how loose his pants are. “I’m like a young man again!” And he points to the church on the hill, both of which he built. “I’m a Christian. Catholic.” he answers while making the sign of the cross. And what is your story? Who is your leader?
Joanne responded that she is the leader of the group, and tell him that we are waiting for someone to meet us. They were in southern Arizona at last call. In the meantime, we will offer to help out however we can, and Joanne reiterated that she has some medical knowledge and mechanical skill.
Jacques is curious how their group came up with Felicity as a place to meet. After all, it isn’t even listed on maps. And where are you going after meeting your friends? Surely not staying in California or going into Mexico? You know that Las Vegas and the FEMA camp was overrun months and months ago, yes? Wouldn’t you be better off meeting them in AZ?
Your answer here.
Joanne’s questions for the Priest
- What is his name? Father Esteban Gutierrez Ramos
- Where did he and his group come from? All over. Chihuahua, Sonora, Nayarit States. We met on the road.
- How long are they planning on staying at Felicity? They are leaving in the morning. There is no reason to stay.
- Where are they headed next? Does he have a plan? It isn’t certain. They don’t really have a plan. (This might not be wholy truthful)
- Why does he disapprove of the Santa Muerte religion? It is Santeria. The Vatican says “It’s not religion just because it’s dressed up like religion; it’s a blasphemy against religion,” They might see themselves as devout Catholics but they have been led astray.
- Does he disapprove of all cult/folk religions? Yes, there is but one way. God’s way. And Jesus told us not to worship false idols. It is here that he invites you to celebrate Mass with them.
- Does he know ancient Sumerian? He blinks his eyes in apparent surprise. “What a strange question. No, I do not.”
- Has he been granted any powers by his god? You sense he gets a little cagey. He says that God works through him.
- If there was a ritual to stop the zombies, would he be willing to help? He would have to pray on it. Maybe this is god’s plan
Father Esteban Gutierrez invites them to Mass later that night after everyone has settled in. Joanne and Milhouse at least will go to the mass and talk to the priest afterward. Maybe hearing the mass will give us some answers without asking; at the least it will butter him up a bit.
They excuse themselves and walk over to the pyramid where the Santa Muerte group is talking. One of the followers acts as a translator. Some of her questions he answers himself.
- What is her name? Call her Niña Blanca or Santisima.
- Where did she come from? A little village in Sonora State
- How did she come to the religion of Santa Muerte? She learned from her mama as a child.
Here she interrupts. The translator asks why you wear a skull mask.
- What are the names of her companions/followers? The translator introduces himself as Eduardo. He doesn’t bother naming anyone else.
- How did she come to lead them? We came to her. We follow because she leads. She is Santa Muerte. The dead respect her and she keeps us safe. (Although she interjected something the answer comes from Eduardo)
- Has she heard of the Rosicrucians? Never.
Trevor asks if she is single? Does her religion allow her to date? Before he is interrupted.
“La Santisima is our guide, our protector, our blessing. She plays no favorites and reaps all both young and old, rich or poor, beautiful and ugly. We all have bones.” Then he glares at Trevor. “The White Lady is not interested in stupid boys.”
For her part she looks on with curiosity. Is that a twinkle you detect in her dark eyes?
- What does their religion think of the zombie apocalypse? There is great trouble in Mictlán. Death takes all. There was always a place for everyone in Mictlán, but now the dead walk. The 4 horsemen of the apocalypse ride among us.
- Why are they at Felicity? We heard that there was a pyramid here. We did not believe it. Our ancestors built pyramids you know. But this is fake. It was built by that fool.
At this point she says something to her translator and turns away. He tells you that she is going to pray. You can talk again with her in the morning.